Hen laid only 1/2 of an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenni2142, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have had my sebright hen since monday and on tuesday she laid an egg in the middle of the run. shell was fine and she ignored it. Tried to put it in nestbox to show her where to lay but she pushed it back outside when I wasn't looking. Today I was gone for an hour and came home to fine 1/2 of an eggshell in the run. There was what looked like the white part next to it but no sign of the yolk or other 1/2 of the shell. shell seems thin and brittle compared to the other one. She is acting fine and I got her layer crumble but when I got her I only had starter, my others aren't laying yet and local store was sold out of layer. Did give her yogurt to help make up for calcium and will get her the oyster shell as soon as I can. Could she/they have eaten it? She is isolated with 1 other hen and the roo, all buff sebrights. only one of the hens is laying, the other is a little younger. Should I worry? What signs should I look for that the other 1/2 may be inside her? She is so small I worry. I look forward to any advice as this is my first experience with an egg laying hen.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They probably ate it. They can't lay half an egg per se, but can get egg bound and have a whole egg stuck, or have an egg break, but you found a half shell so that means they had a snack. A broken egg would leak out of the hen and is life threatening.

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    If she just started laying, I wouldn't worry about it. I think hens make some crazy ones before their body starts making them perfectly.

4. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks I feel much better. I think this is only maybe her 3rd egg. She is such a sweet, gentle hen. They are so small that they seem so very fragile. I am so glad I found this site, everyone is so helpful. Thanks again.

5. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Good luck with your hen and

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by