Hen laid poorly formed egg overnight from roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmtrivia, Nov 14, 2009.

1. cmtrivia

cmtrivia Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Hi all,

I have 4 hens: 1 Brahma, 1 Ameraucana, and 2 Plymouths. One of the Plymouths has always laid eggs with very thin shells. I have only had one break in the nesting box.

The eggs from this hen also typically have a concretion of shell deposited on the narrower end of the egg. If you pick this off, there is a hole in the shell.

Anyway, this morning when I let them out and was cleaning the coop, there was a very thin shelled egg that was broken, and deposited below their roost. They all roost together on a pole secured to a corner of the coop.

They eat Purina Layena, as well as free ranging. I add oyster shell to the Layena. This Rock has always had the problem, and none of the other girls seem to have thin shells.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks,

Michelle

2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    [​IMG]

Does she lay them ever once in a while, or consistantly?

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a similar thing happening with one of my Dark Cornish hens. She either lays an egg that is not really sealed at the narrow end or very thin and I find them broken in the nest box. I am going to have to determine which one it is and have her for dinner. At least, that is what people are telling me, that it is genetic and she will continue to lay bad eggs. The other hens are laying very firm, thick shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by