Hen Laid Really Strange Object (graphic Pics)

bfeusner

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 14, 2009
Louisville, KY
Today my fiance went out to feed and water our chickens and noticed that "Bokie", a hen we just recently placed back outside after rehabilitating her inside for a pecking injury, had laid a very strange object. The object was frozen at first due to cold temperature but when I got home I decided to check it out. We placed the object in a tupperware container full of water to thaw it and check it out. When it thawed we noticed at first that it had the distinct smell of raw chicken. We then broke it open to see what was inside as we thought it might have been an undeveloped egg. This is what we found:
IMG_9884.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_9894.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

We aren't sure if this is some kind of organ or what this is. If you have any idea please let me know. The chicken is still acting fine and was eating and drinking regularly earlier. Could this be some form of misformed egg? She has been acting like she was trying to make a nest out of the bedding in the area she is living and then this thing appeared. Help me figure out if there is something I need to do and what this object could possibly be!

ep.gif
Whoa. I know next to nothing about chickens, and I would be interested to see what the experts have to say.
hu.gif
Oddly enough, it kinda looks like and egg roll, like the kind you order from a chinese restaurant.
sickbyc.gif
I sure hope you get an answer. Good luck.
hugs.gif

I thought the same thing once I went back and looked at the pics...The strange thing is that it smells just like chicken would if you took frozen chicken out to cook it...This thing is very strange and nearly made me and my fiance sick at first glance because we thought it was some kind of egg before we split it open...

Back
Top Bottom