Hen Laid Really Strange Object (graphic Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bfeusner, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bfeusner

bfeusner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Today my fiance went out to feed and water our chickens and noticed that "Bokie", a hen we just recently placed back outside after rehabilitating her inside for a pecking injury, had laid a very strange object. The object was frozen at first due to cold temperature but when I got home I decided to check it out. We placed the object in a tupperware container full of water to thaw it and check it out. When it thawed we noticed at first that it had the distinct smell of raw chicken. We then broke it open to see what was inside as we thought it might have been an undeveloped egg. This is what we found:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We aren't sure if this is some kind of organ or what this is. If you have any idea please let me know. The chicken is still acting fine and was eating and drinking regularly earlier. Could this be some form of misformed egg? She has been acting like she was trying to make a nest out of the bedding in the area she is living and then this thing appeared. Help me figure out if there is something I need to do and what this object could possibly be!

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Ovary ? your guess, does it smell ? Tumor

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. smileyfacecat

smileyfacecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Wrentham, MA
    [​IMG] Whoa. I know next to nothing about chickens, and I would be interested to see what the experts have to say. [​IMG] Oddly enough, it kinda looks like and egg roll, like the kind you order from a chinese restaurant. [​IMG] I sure hope you get an answer. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Oy, that's nasty.....I'm thinking ovary too. She may be retired now.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Looks like she made an eggroll for ya LOL

My first guess would also be ovary.. but I've been wrong before. It may be a meat spot that built up in the ovarian tract.

6. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    Sorry, I can't help you, but I'll stay here to find out.

7. bfeusner

bfeusner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I thought the same thing once I went back and looked at the pics...The strange thing is that it smells just like chicken would if you took frozen chicken out to cook it...This thing is very strange and nearly made me and my fiance sick at first glance because we thought it was some kind of egg before we split it open...

8. greenbeandreams

greenbeandreams Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

9. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    that is quite...odd. im amazed at people's knowledge of it though! this place never ceases to amaze me!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by