Hen laid TWO eggs this morning

fatimahb89

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
She is 12 months old. They have free access to 16% layer grain, oyster shells, plus free range all day, treats like watermelon (it was 100 degrees yesterday), etc. Last night about one hour before dusk, she looked lathargic and was trying to lay under the coop away from all the hens. I really thought that she was not going to make it and was preparing my daughter for the possiblilty that she would pass during the night. At dusk, she did not go to roost in the coop with the hens so I put her in an islolation pen for the night. In the morning, we saw that she laid two very soft shelled eggs. Yesterday, she laid a regular hard shelled egg in the morning, so I didn't suspect that she was egg bound or similar. Any thoughts? I am two years into raising hens and would love for some advice.

Attachments

• Laura two eggs 6-18-22.jpg
    Laura two eggs 6-18-22.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 22
Stress can make eggs come out without the shell applied. Hens can release multiple ovum in a day. Some get made into double yolk eggs, and others get dumped because they can only produce one shelled egg a day as it takes roughly 24 hours to produce a shell. Is she a higher production breed?

Eggs without shells can be harder to push out, so birds will strain more.

I personally prefer a higher protein ration, especially if you are adding extras as 16% protein is the daily minimum requirements for a laying hen.

She is 12 months old. They have free access to 16% layer grain, oyster shells, plus free range all day, treats like watermelon (it was 100 degrees yesterday), etc. Last night about one hour before dusk, she looked lathargic and was trying to lay under the coop away from all the hens. I really thought that she was not going to make it and was preparing my daughter for the possiblilty that she would pass during the night. At dusk, she did not go to roost in the coop with the hens so I put her in an islolation pen for the night. In the morning, we saw that she laid two very soft shelled eggs. Yesterday, she laid a regular hard shelled egg in the morning, so I didn't suspect that she was egg bound or similar. Any thoughts? I am two years into raising hens and would love for some advice.
How is she doing after laying - is she still lethargic and isolated?

Back
Top Bottom