hen lame on right side, powdery residue on head and neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blmack, Dec 31, 2016.

1. blmack

blmack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Pace, FL
    My hen started limping on her right side a few weeks ago. I inspected her but could find no injuries. Then she started looking like she was molting, so I thought she was just molting a little later than the other hens. Now she cannot use her right wing or leg. She lays around on her left side looking miserable but alert. She has white powdery stuff on her head and neck which looks like a bad case of dandruff. I had set her up with some fresh pine shavings, food and water in the hen house. She came out of the hen house and into the run one day, so we gave her food and water in front of her there. that night we put her back in the hen house on the floor again and the next day she stayed there all day. Today she laid an egg right where she has been lying and came out of the hen house clear out into the backyard where we saw her lying there. I put her back in the hen house and then she came back out in the back yard again. I have not seen her when she moves but when trying to stand her up she seems to have no use of her right wing and leg. She is eating and drinking some. I have pictures on my phone but not sure how to get them here. Thanks for any help.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sounds like a case of Boutlism.

I would check the run for any Maggots and Animal Carcass.

An Avian Vet should be contacted for crop cleaning.

3. blmack

Jan 4, 2012
    Pace, FL
    Thank you for replying. Is that the correct spelling for the disease you mentioned?

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  5. blmack

Jan 4, 2012
    Pace, FL
    Can it be treated, and could she have gotten sick from eating out of our compost pit?

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yes,Compost piles can harbor botulism.It can be treated by a vet but the likeliness of her surviving is slim.

7. blmack

Jan 4, 2012
    Pace, FL
    Thank you so much. I wish I could get my pictures of her uploaded but I can't get it to work. Should she be put out of misery?

8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Its up to you.The other disease she could have would be mareks and there is no treatment .How long has she been doing this?

9. blmack

Jan 4, 2012
    Pace, FL
    [​IMG]

10. blmack

Jan 4, 2012
    Pace, FL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by