Hen lathargic please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elexin, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Elexin

Elexin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    One of my isa brown was very droopy and has been waddleing around. She is straining her vent and is pooping white stuff. She is eating and pecking but also sitting down. She is usually running away from me but now she cant run and is easily picked up. Is she eggbound? and what do i do?

2. Elexin

Jul 25, 2014
    Shes also the type of chicken to lay huge double yolkers

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Have you felt for an egg? You need to squeeze gently on with side of the vent. If she's egg bound you should be able to feel the egg. If she is you'll need I act fast.

4. Elexin

Jul 25, 2014
    how long will she have if she is?

5. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Hard to say, maybe two days. The best treatment is bringing her inside and soaking her vent in warm water for about 20 minutes. Then lube it with some ky or vaseline (a little inside if possible.) Then massaging the abdomen to work the egg out. You can also give her calcium carbonate (Tums), either by her eating it or dissolving it in water and dropper feeding. This tends to work quickly. Googling egg bound treatments will give you lots of helpful articles with pictures and detailed instructions.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If they can poop they can live for months with a stuck egg. Lube your finger and gently check the inside of her vent. You shouldn't have to go in more than 1" to feel one. If you feel one, give calcium at about 50mg per pound, put her in your bathroom and run the shower to fill with steam. Leave there until she passes the egg. Be sure to put toilet seat down.

-Kathy

7. Elexin

Jul 25, 2014
    GOOD NEWS! She passed the egg with no help at all. Eggs a bit bigger then usuall. It was normal on one side and white on the other (fells like concrete) and normal colour in the middle of white part. Shes walking around and going off with the rest of the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by