Hen-Layed a strange yolk-like thing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beckyjo, Oct 19, 2011.

1. beckyjo

beckyjo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a flock of 11 hens and a Cochin Rooster. About 4 days ago, when I opened the coop in the morning, one of the hens basically stumbled down the ramp and had a hard time getting up. When I let them out of their pen to free-range, she waddled like a pregnant woman very slowly to get to the crumbles that I scattered in the grass. She is a 1 1/2 year old Black Star. She does not make any noises like she is in pain. She let me pick her up, which she normally wouldn't do and I noticed that her breast bone is really sticking out and she seems VERY thin, except for her bottom area between her legs which was pretty big and warm feeling compared to the rest of her. Her comb is a light pink. Eery morning her crop is empty. The rest of my hens and rooster are fine, happily scampering around digging in the leaves for bugs. I brought her in 3 nights ago and have been feeding her yogurt, bread dipped in olive oil, her crumbles and live meal worms. My first thought was that she has worms because of the warm belly. So I gave her Wazine on Monday night. Her poop is watery at times, but also thick and white at other times (looks kind of like toothpaste). Last night I gave her a warm bath after reading on here and wondering if she could be egg bound...even though I couldn't necessarily feel any eggs in her belly. Tonight when I got home from work, there was the strangest thing in the bin that I am keeping her in. It looked like a hard boiled egg yolk, just more rubbery and dense. It was more tan in color though. It looked like she had pecked at it quite a bit. Any ideas on what this is??? What can I do about it? Thanks!
    Becky
    How I Found It:
    [​IMG]
    Cut Open:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Do a search on "egg-bound" and "internal laying"... that sounds like what she has. Sorry.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. beckyjo

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, that is what it is I bet. Something called a "lash." Pretty interesting. I wanted to post a picture, but since I haven't posted before, I guess that I am too new to post pics.
    Thanks for the info!!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Go ahead and try posting a picture. There is very little info on the lash, on the net. Seems to be one of those odd things worthy of watching but not yet tied to a major problem.

Hope your hen is OK

Imp

6. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    You can post pix when you're brand new. Go to Uploads and it's pretty straightforward. I think pix would help -

7. beckyjo

Oct 19, 2011
    I added the pictures, thanks for the help!
    Becky

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  8. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    It sure seems to look like the pix on the link Imp sent. Wow - the things I learn here. Thanks -

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    It definitely looks like a lash egg. You can do a search and find a few threads on here about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by