1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Hen layed her first egg, and it looks like her insides are hanging out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaciaGarden, Nov 9, 2011.

1. DaciaGarden

DaciaGarden New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    Last night it looked like my hen was having difficulty laying her first egg.
    This morning it looked like part of it was out but still attached to her skin.
    When the egg finally came out it looks like her insides were pulled out with it.
    She seems to be perky and wants to hang out with the other chickens...
    I really do not have the money to take her to the vet. Is there anything that I can do for her?
    I have not bathed her yet because I wanted a second opinion.

Please help

I have a picture that I will try to upload.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Look for the term prolapse in the emergency section. The first thing to do is separate her, if she is with others, they will pick at her butt.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've had egg bound birds but never prolapse which sounds like what you have. Do a search for it. I think after a hot bath you can grease up your fingers with olive oil and try to reinsert but hopefully folks with more experience can help more.

4. DaciaGarden

DaciaGarden New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    Thank you so much!! I just cleaned her up, put on some gloves, a little vaseline... and it went right back in. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be! I will keep her inside until she is completely healed, and to make sure it does not come out again.

Thank you all for your immediate response.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:It may come out again, that is common. You can use Prep H, honey or sugar to help shrink the tissues. Also might help to keep her in a dim room, to hopefully decrease the laying.

Good luck,

Imp

6. pulletmom#1

pulletmom#1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    i had 2 chicks hatch today [1 day early] and both have thier, what seems to be the lower abdomen on the out side? still alive but, weak. what can cause this and what in the world is this?

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most likely they haven't completely absorbed the yolk yet.
    Might be a good idea to separate them until they improve.

8. pulletmom#1

pulletmom#1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    woke up to 2 dead chicks this morning:(. im still trying to find out what went wrong:confused:,,im so depressed over this. poor babies. i have one healthy baby all by itsself now.

9. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Quote:Glad everything went well for you! [​IMG] and [​IMG] from VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by