Hen laying 2 eggs a day and doesn’t look well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KeleFarm, Mar 15, 2019.

1. KeleFarm

KeleFarm Hatching

Mar 15, 2019
    I am new at raising hens and am worried about my favorite hen Peeps. I have raised 4 hens since they where bitties and Peeps was the first to lay eggs. About a month ago she layed severalenormous eggs with 2 yokes. This week she has laid 2 eggs a day 3 times. One is healthy and strong and the other is soft and rubbery. Her eggs are a different color than the rest of the hens. She layed the rubbery eggs in a different place as the normal ones. The first one she layed in the yard right in front of us. She looks very sick right before this happens. I am very worried about her and would like to know if this has happened to anyone else’s hen and any advice on helping her. They eat layer feed and I give them some scratch when I let them out to play. They have fun eating bugs in the yard as well. Please Help!

casportpony likes this.
  2. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

Jan 29, 2019
    Newberry, Indiana
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC!

I have had this happen to a few, and the way I treat it now is to start them on antibiotics, calcium w/vitamin D3, and meloxicam. I will also tube fluids to them. I know it sounds harcore, but I have found that's what works best for my flock.

Is a vet an option? If not, you could try giving some calcium and d3 and see if it helps.

Eggcessive and staceyj like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have not had this occur with more than one egg the same day, but have had hens lay a rubber egg, a membrane, and double yolker eggs. There are all sorts of things that can go wrong with egg laying. Usually the hen may act very ill and weak when they are experiencing these usual problems. Giving a human calcium tablet with vitamin D or a tums is what I would do for 2-3 days untils shells are normal. Some viruses such as infectious bronchitis, can cause some abnormal egg shells. Giving liquids and the anti-inflammatory medicine may help.

casportpony likes this.
  5. KeleFarm

KeleFarm Hatching

Mar 15, 2019

6. KeleFarm

KeleFarm Hatching

Mar 15, 2019
    Thank You for your advice. I talked to my vet on Friday and they are looking for someone who treats chickens. Can I get antibiotics from the feed store or online? What about calcium and D3? Peeps layed an enormous egg on Saturday (double yolks) and a weak shelled little egg on Sunday. This is just me thinking but...I think she is overproducing yolks and is having trouble making shells for all of them? Maybe the calcium will help. She is such a sweet chicken. My favorite for sure.

7. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 In the Brooder

Sunday
    One of our ducks laid an egg that was sort of rubbery but I was able to find out why http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html
    But I still think her calcium level has something to do with it so it might be the same situation with Peeps. Then again with her laying two eggs a day and having one be totally normal has me pretty much stumped.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did you see the post where you can give human calcium with vitamin D 3 (Caltrate or generic?) Give 1/2 tablet daily for 3 days crushed into some yogurt or cooked egg. Hopefully in a few days, she will be back to laying normally. Egg laying problems can be common. You can get some antibiotics online. Baytril (enrofloxacin) which is banned in chickens, but still is prescribed by some with an appropriate egg withdrawal time, is a good one that treats E.coli, MG, and other antibiotics which can cause oviduct infection. Here is a link where to buy it:
    https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/

Get the 10% bottle of 100 ml for $23. Dosage is 0.05 ml per pound of weight (0.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken) given orally for 5-6 days.

Since Baytril is banned in chickens, there is no egg withdrawal time given. In the past when it was okay to use, 5 days was given as the egg withdrawal time. But I would probably wait for a month just to be safe. Most antibiotics are not approved for poultry that lay eggs or are used for meat, just to prevent antibiotic resistance. However, the one or two that are approved do not treat E.coli, one of the bacteria most responsible for serious infections.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 7:58 AM
    casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: