1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laying around x 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsSalo, Sep 30, 2016.

1. MrsSalo

MrsSalo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    Western Washington State
    H[​IMG]

This is my hen Fluff. She was walking instead for a couple days about two weeks ago. I brought her in to my in house infirmary(dog crate) for observation and rest. At first, I checked for bound egg, injury, bumble foot and kept her away from the others just in case it was Contagious. Two weeks later she will stand for a bit but, is sitting like in the pic most of the time. She's eating, drinking, pooping and seems just fine beyond my thinking she should walk. She seems unsteady when she does walk ( stumbling and catching her balance with her wings).

I am beginning to think it may be best to put her down. She doesn't have much of a life and she isn't laying either.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts...

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is Fluff? Several things come to mind in trying to figure out a cause for her problems. The first would be a riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency which can be treated by giving poultry vitamins containing riboflavin for a few weeks. Second would be an injury to her legs or hips where you may see a limp. The third possibility would be a neurological problem, and Mareks disease could be a possible cause. It can cause weakness of one or both legs, wings, or the neck. Reproductive disorders such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and others could also be a problem. If you do put her down, you may want to get a necropsy done by your state vet to look for what was wrong. Here are a couple of links to read about getting a necropsy:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

3. MrsSalo

MrsSalo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    Western Washington State
    Thanks. She is just about 2 yo. I have been giving poultry vits with Bs for the past couple weeks. She doesn't seem to have pain in her legs so I was concerned about vitamins.

Thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by