1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Laying at Night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chango, Mar 20, 2016.

1. chango

chango Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    New Mexico
    I have a flock of 7 red sex linked hens - all laying since early winter - getting six or seven eggs each day in the nesting boxes. About a week ago, I started finding a single egg almost every day beneath the roosts in the morning. The egg is completely cold, so I assume it ended up there during the night. It seems to be a perfectly normal egg and I see no signs of any health problems with any of the girls. Is this normal? Temporary? Indication of something more serious? Thanks for any help.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It can be normal, but not normal, sex links can lay so many eggs that sometimes there's a glitch, it's hard to say if it's a sign of anything more serious. There wouldn't be anything you could do anyways. I think it will stop after a bit since it takes about 26 hours to make an egg, most hens hold it during the night but your hen isn't, she should start laying in the morning again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by