Hen laying bloody and deformed shelless eggs

Sailaway806

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2018
Florida
On Wed, our 2.5 yo sex linked suddenly became lethargic and seemed egg bound. I isolated her, did an epsom salt soak and she laid a fully intact yolk and white but no shell and no membrane. About a minute later she passed a deformed bloody mass. It was flattened with a thickened membrane and blood clot on one side and a slightly calcified bulge on the other (2 pics attached with both sides shown). The calcified side was essentially a fairy egg full of blood. She stayed inside and about 12 hrs later (Thursday) starting pooping normally and starting eating. We put her out and almost immediately she laid a small membrane only egg with blood (no pic). Friday she did not pass anything and acted normal. This AM (Saturday we found another long skinny membrane that had broken but would have been about 5 inches long intact. The portion that was intact was full of egg white and blood. (2 pics of fresh out of coop and then close up)

What is going on? She is still acting normal - eating, drinking and foraging?

Attachments

• IMG_20200822_091829.jpg
    IMG_20200822_091829.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200822_091712.jpg
    IMG_20200822_091712.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200819_195504_2.jpg
    IMG_20200819_195504_2.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200819_193140.jpg
    IMG_20200819_193140.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 11
She may be experiencing a common reproductive disorder or infection in her oviduct. It might be helpful to give half of a human calcium with vitamin D tablet or Tums for several days. Antibiotics can sometimes help early in oviduct inflammation (also called salpingitis,) or impacted oviduct, but hard to know if she will go on to develop more problems or stop laying altogether one day. Vets can sometimes stop laying with a hormone implant or spay the hen. Those things are not always availabale or affordable.

She may be experiencing a common reproductive disorder or infection in her oviduct. It might be helpful to give half of a human calcium with vitamin D tablet or Tums for several days. Antibiotics can sometimes help early in oviduct inflammation (also called salpingitis,) or impacted oviduct, but hard to know if she will go on to develop more problems or stop laying altogether one day. Vets can sometimes stop laying with a hormone implant or spay the hen. Those things are not always availabale or affordable.
Thank you so much!
Will start with the calcium. I have noticed that she is eating a LOT more of the oyster shell than normal in the last week. I am totally ok if she stops laying. She is my son's favorite hen (as in she comes inside and sits with him to watch movies; follows him around yard and requests snuggles from him every AM) - so she can freeload! I have a friend that did an implant and what she had to pay is out of our budget, but willing to do what I can to help her within our means.

If we go with antibiotics - which one should I give? I have treated a wide variety of mundane issues but never anything that required abx.

Most antibiotics are not approved for chickens. Amoxicillin or Fish Mox is good and available sometimeson the shelf at TSC or online. Baytril (or enrofloxacin for pigeons,) is banned for poultry because of antibiotic resistance, but some vets do prescribe it for hens with reproductive infections, since it helps treat E.coli. Either one requiresa 1- 2 week egg withdrawal time.

Back
Top Bottom