Hen "laying" clear watery (egg white?) or is it diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheMaineChicken, Nov 24, 2009.

1. TheMaineChicken

TheMaineChicken New Egg

Nov 24, 2009
    Thank God for this forum, because I am new to chickens and unfortunately, have grown really attached to them and feel so worried whenever there is a problem! I have 13 laying hens, about 6 mos. old, so still new to laying - 2 Golden Comets, 3 Silver Laced, 3 Leghorns, 4 Araucanas, one loved "mistake" (supposed to be a Silver, but think they threw in a Golden Laced). Plus 2 guinea "mens" (whoops! no hens) and a ginormous 2 y.o. gentle Brahma rooster named Pogo Stick.
    He is convalescing in a dog pen (hates it!) as he was attacked so badly with scaly leg mites, his feathered feet were swollen and bloody.
    I made a Diatomaceous Earth snowstorm in the pen, and "oiled" the perches, hung up those round bird mite protector discs for caged birds, and treated Pogo with some antibiotic in his H20 (when his legs had open sores) alternating Campho-Phenique and a pet-friendly antibiotic ointment topically.
    It's been almost 2 weeks, but there is slow improvement. He's standing on two feet! Phew. Now (it's always something, isn't it?), although the others show no raised leg scales of mite invasion, I have noticed my Araucana hen has been "laying" copious amounts of a watery substance.
    At first, a few weeks ago, I found an "almost egg" on the floor under their perch, (no shell, just sac and insides), and later witnessed this fluid eject from her backside, and figured, it must be her, she's starting to lay, and that must just be egg white coming out without anything else. I did not think it to be diarrhea, because it was colorless and odorless, and since chickens don't pee and googling led me nowhere, I figured she was going through a long learning phase. Well, she's plump, not lethargic, and apparently, this time later, still doing this. We have found, in the nesting boxes, this fluid "layed" in the corner, in one instance on the other eggs in the clutch (it is clear and a little sticky, like egg white, rinses right off). Otherwise all poops look a-ok. She looks fine, as I said, although I noticed one of her blue earlobes looked like it may have had a scab on it. Am I making a mountain out of a pile of chicken poo? Please tell me I am!
    If anyone may know what this clear stuff is, and if it requires action if the hen may be unwell, please let me know, because i would so love a good night's sleep. [​IMG] Unfortunately, I am in the position where I must try "home remedies" first before the vet, which is last-resort.
    I would "egg"specially "egg"preciate any "egg"vice readers may have to help my "egg"cellent little hen. Sorry, I'm prone to puns. Thanks again so very much!

2. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    mine do this every now and then too they seem fine and lay eggs just fine... so idk maybe just diarrhea

3. TheMaineChicken

TheMaineChicken New Egg

Nov 24, 2009
    Phew! Thanks! Glad to know that you have experienced this without dire problems. Thanks again and have a great evening!!![​IMG]

4. solarquail

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    glad i could help in that little way [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm a new chicken keeper myself, but this is one I know something about. Our favorite hen, Billina, showed what sounds like a similar symptom. The clear, egg white consistency fluid was around a more solid dark poo. We took her in to the vet and he said this was what a bird's poop looks like when they're stressed by something. They see it a lot when birds come into the vet, because that's so stressful. Your hen might be stressed because of pecking order issues, for example.

You did mention what looked like a "scab" on your chicken's earlobe, so that's why I'm bringing this up. We took our hen to the vet because she was showing signs of fowl pox, a viral disease that causes lesions to form typically on the unfeathered areas of the bird. One scab is probably just a peck from another chicken or maybe a scratch or scrape, but if you notice any more of them forming, you may be looking at fowl pox, too. Just something to be aware of.

6. solarquail

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    ok so if its stressed well theyre has been a troublesome red tailed hawk flying over my house so that might be stressnig them!!

hawks = [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. TheMaineChicken

TheMaineChicken New Egg

Nov 24, 2009
    wow! Thanks for that! Stress can manifest in so many physical ways in humans...and I guess chickens, too! I'm going to keep an eye on her ear. I am not sure what would be a stressor, there is a "pecking order" but nothing really aggressive, they seem like a unit. She is certainly not singled out, anyway. Hmmmm...maybe I should take up chicken massage!!! [​IMG] I'll keep in mind what you said of pox, and make sure there are no other lesions on her ears or elsewhere. I'll pray that is not the case! BUT thanks for alerting me to it! Perhaps I will hand feed her some treats specifically to cheer her up. My husband built them a fortress (he calls it the for Waldorf-Astoria for Chickens). They have an 8 x 10 shed with 8 nest boxes, attached to a 12 x 8 run for the 15 of them, and they don't seem cramped. There's plenty of room to get out of the way of each other, for sure! The fencing is buried and covered against predators (and boy do we have them here in rural Maine!) so, I'm sure nothing has been bothering them predator-wise. Hmmmmm....knowledge is half the battle, so I will observe all I can and maybe notice something I didn't before! And also try to get a life and not freak out about my chickens so much! It's exhausting, but I love them! Thanks again guys, sooooo glad this site is here.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by