1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laying different colored eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JesikaD01, Jan 3, 2013.

1. JesikaD01

JesikaD01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hi I have a question and hope you can help! We have an americauna hen who just started laying about a week ago but has only laid maybe 4 eggs. I know they are hers because everyone else has been laying for months and her eggs are very long...well the first 2 eggs were white then yesterday she laid a light brown egg and then today it was GREEN!

Is it normal for them to not lay colored eggs right away?

I was totally shocked and just convinced she was not going to lay colorful eggs.

Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'm not an egg expert but I don't think the same chicken can lay different colored eggs as you described. I know the shading of eggs can change - but I don't think from white to brown to green is possible?? I think it is from other birds in the coop. Just my thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    A chicken's egg can't change its basic color. It may change shade and be darker at the beginning of the laying cycle, or it may have spots on it one day but not the next, but never from white to brown to green. An EEs egg starts out the same color it will always be. The only egg you've actually gotten from your EE is the green one. All others have come from other hens, no matter what the shape. It's possible to get differently shaped eggs from the same hen, but not differently colored ones.

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Could it possibly be one of your other easter eggers has also begun laying? Easter eggers don't necessarily lay only blue or green eggs, they can lay just about any color. Maybe one lays white, one brown and one green.

5. JesikaD01

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks I suppose one of the others could be laying a strange shape as well but she is our only EE

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm sorry, I thought from your siggie that you had three.

7. JesikaD01

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    OH we do but 2 ended up Roos!!

8. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by