Hen laying down all the time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks Galore3, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My 1 1/3 year old BSL had a malformed egg hanging out of her several days ago. She passed it, and I thought she was all better for 1 day - then she just sat and did nothing, except she would chew and boss anyone out for any reason, her usual personality. She ate drank, don't know about pooping/egg laying. Then, she was better again. Today she was laying in the middle of the landscape, and when I threw something at her (to see if she would move) She dashed away, then sat down again. I have NO clue what is the matter. She'll run somewhere, but then she'll lay down. She'll go to eat/drink but go right back to laying down.

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    I think your girlie is eating to much

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Sounds like she is still having a problem possibly related to the first stuck egg. I have no experience but would suggest you try doing a search here for egg bound and see if the symptoms match your hen.
    Good luck

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I've had an egg bound girl before - I don't think she'd be running around and eating/drinking. She could have internal laying, but her belly isn't swollen. I haven't checked for impacted crop yet, now that I think about it. Bad thing is, I'm going to be leaving on a LONG vacation tomorrow - I am very very stressed out right now. :/

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG] Have you tried the disease/illness forum?

Have they been wormed?

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks, I need that. [​IMG]
    Nuh uh, guess I should. They have been wormed, recently. In July I think. They are recovering from a bout of mites, but she didn't seem affected by them very much.

1 person likes this.
  7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Have you checked around her vent? If there was any egg goop in her rear, it can attract flies.

8. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    No I haven't - I will. When I had a hen with an egg broken inside of her, I squirted vinegar water into her vent to prevent infection - should I do this? Or should I wait until I know what is wrong?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have never heard of squirting vinegar water in. I would just make sure the area around her vent is clean. Check for lice too, while you have her.

10. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Her vent is clean. I just did a mite bath (and wormed, and diminshed bullying...and cleaned the whole stinking coop...and dealt with a stuck up rooster...and...not a very good time for chickens... -_-) so I think lice would be gone. I posted it in the disease section, which got some more answers and I am pretty sure it is Cocci now because another hen has taken to laying down. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/814712/hen-not-being-active/20#post_11825561

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by