Hen laying down, coughing sound, shaking head, poop on butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedeemersRanch, Mar 2, 2017.

1. RedeemersRanch

RedeemersRanch New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    My husband and I just bought our first chickens in December for Christmas. We got 3 hens and a Rooster all barred rock. They were said to have been really good bloodline and healthy. When we came home one of the hens started having a bubbly eye and a cough after a few days so I googled and through some websites found she needed medicine. So we kept her separate for a while ( a week or two) and gave her VET RX till she really seemed to be better. She now is laying eggs for us but I have noticed that she has started coughing again and shaking her head. she always has seemed healthy and is the nicest out of the bunch. but today I went out and she had watery poop. I looked it up on here and found that maybe its just because its hot out (which it really isn't super hot just warmer than its been). I went back out just a little while ago and she is just laying in the coop with her head tucked under her wing. I went to pet her and she didn't even move for a little while!!! What's going on, is she diseased?? She's sweet but I don't want to get the others sick. Please help! Thank you and God bless you!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Probably Not. If you do not want to spend $100's at a Vet---- I would start tylan50 asap 1ml oral---hold the head back and ease it into her throat area-----holding till she swallows---I would do that once a day for 3 to 5 days/ would keep her separated from the rest for a couple weeks.

You can inject her with it but I have great results with oral. Good Luck

3. RedeemersRanch

RedeemersRanch New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Just called the feed store they said they only have Tylan 50 in shot form. Is that the same/can I orally give her shot meds?

4. RedeemersRanch

RedeemersRanch New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Thank you for your reply!

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    That's it----get you a syringe and a probably 18/20 gauge needle---draw 1ml out the bottle upside down----pull out then draw a little more to clear the needle----pull the needle off and tilt the head a little squeeze the syringe so the med can go to the back of the throat----hold and she will swallow---if you turn her loose---she will shake it all out. Good Luck Hope it helps!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  6. RedeemersRanch

RedeemersRanch New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Thank you so much! I'll let yall know how it goes thank you and God bless you!

1 person likes this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would give the Tylan 50 at least twice a day, 1 ml for a five pound hen, a little more or a little less depending on her weight. Plumbs Vet drug book says the you can give Tylan 5-20 mg per pound 2-3 times a day, so it is pretty safe. If you feel comfortable with injections, it can be given that way as well. This sounds like possible MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum, a respiratory disease that can make carriers of your flock, and can pass through eggs to the offspring.

8. RedeemersRanch

RedeemersRanch New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Sorry to get back on here so late its been a busy morning. I gave her a dose last night orally. She did ok drinking it. Not quite comfortable with shots just yet. We were setting eggs back to try hatching and I know the difference between hers and the other hen that is laying. Do I need to throw those out or can we eat her eggs?

9. Beour3rd

Beour3rd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    thanks for this thread. following instructions now.

1 person likes this.
  10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Some say one thing some another, Seems most of the time my hens that are sick are not laying. I would wait a few days to eat,(some say no wait) but would hatch if I wanted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by