Hen laying egg at night for over two to three weeks, how can I correct this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pwand, Mar 14, 2013.

1. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    My hen was a ready to lay hen when I got her, she was sick with impacted and sour crop for a month. We got through this and she started laying her egg from the roost. I initially thought after her dealing with sour crop, her body went through a lot and she needed to get her proper nutrition and get back on track. I even set the timer light to come on earlier in the monrning. That didn't work. Her eggs for a few days were soft, now they are hard. Does anybody know how to correct this?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This is just a shot in the dark, and I mean it kind of literally, but I would place her in the dark for 24 hours, then return her to the coop with only natural light. It appears her "clock" needs resetting.

By "dark", I mean very subdued lighting, just enough so she can find her food to eat.

If she continues to lay, even in the subdued lighting condition, keep her there for another 24 hours. If she lays again, then let her stay for a third day. That ought to do it.

Does your coop have windows to let in natural light? If so, it may be enough without adding supplementary light. I found, much to my surprise, that my hens began laying again this year without added light after molt, about the same time they did the previous year with added light.

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    That's what I was also thinking of trying. I will give it a try. I have lots of window for light, only problem here is we dont get much sun here in the winter. It's dark and dismal, lots of rain. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by