Hen Laying egg wherever she happens to be...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by djmb74, Jan 22, 2010.

1. djmb74

djmb74 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Longwood - Florida
    I have a Cochin that just lays an egg wherever she happens to be hanging out at the time. Her first egg she laid was right in front of my son and I as we were sitting in a chair. She was just standing there closed her eyes and laid an egg, she didn't even lay down. Now it has happened a few times as her eggs are ending up randomly in the yard. One by the water dish, one by the fence where they love to look for worms, another just right out my side door.

Anyone else had this problem?

2. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    [​IMG] silly chicken. I think its happens alot. Egg hunting is fun for the kids thankfully. [​IMG]

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    LOL that's funny! I have a hen that prefers to sneak into the pen she doesn't live in and lay an egg while everyone else is out freeranging....but even so it's in a nest!

4. djmb74

djmb74 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Longwood - Florida
    Fortunately their free range area has no hiding spots. I have 2 fenced in areas one is 15x25 with the coop in there and a gate separating another 40x50 fenced in area with a small garden that let them run around in most of the time. Then they get to go out in the rest of the yard every once in a while when I am working out there as they generally will not go more than 20ft from me when I am hanging around...

5. kimbobim

kimbobim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Highland, Utah
    I have one Barred Rock that will go out of the pop door of the coop, through the run, out the gate, around the fenced garden and the woodpile to lay her egg on the bottom step to the coop people door - a distance over over 150 feet, through the snow - rather than lay in one of the three perfectly lovely nest boxes we've built (ridiculous thing is, her egg ends up less than 2 feet from the nesting boxes on the other side of the door [​IMG]). I've seen her do this on purpose, it's not that she's foraging out there already. Maybe she just likes the view from the front step. Her name is Lavender, but my son is calling her Waltzing Matilda.

6. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Thats the exact opposite of my girl. She has to be in complete seclusion with NO ONE around. If there is anyone around, she screams until they go away....hahahahaha.... [​IMG]

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If she is new to laying she may still be getting the hang of it. My (only currently laying) pullet laid her first from the roost at night. The next was in a dog igloo they hang out in, the third on the ground under the deck stairs and the fourth back in the igloo. Then she took an 11-day break, and on day 12, as I was outside hanging up laundry, she stopped to do the poop squat and instead, out popped an egg. I'm honestly not sure if she knew she had laid an egg and not just pooped! However following that, every egg has been in the igloo and I now watch her wander in there quite deliberately, sit there for up to 30 minutes and by the time she leaves, I can go collect the egg (she has currently laid 12 days straight). Anyway, for those first 5 eggs, I think it was kind of like a toddler who is potty training - she didn't realize what was happening until it happened, so the egg just landed wherever she happened to be. After that she started to make the connection that what she was feeling was eggy and not poopy, and settled into the routine of it all.

8. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Quote:lol

9. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. chickluver:D

chickluver:D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    maryland
    i did not no they could LAY STANDING![​IMG] my hens take a while before the egg comes out!

1 ruby-eyed netherland dwarf, 8 hens, 1 cat, 1 parrot, 1 injured northern flying squrrel, and eggs in the bator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by