Hen laying egg with no shell

Nlchicken

Chirping
Sep 4, 2018
Newfoundland
I have a 1 year old black sex link hen that was laying fine until about 6 weeks ago she had a bad case of sour crop and stoped laying. She started laying again 5 days ago. The first 2 days she laid soft shelled eggs but the last 3 days there has been no shell at all.

Her feed is 16% layer pellets and she has a bowl of crushed oyster shells and a bowl of washed sand for grit available 24/7.

She was a little over a week recovering from the sour crop but is now back to her normal self except for laying eggs with no shell.

She would normaly be in the main coop with her sisters but since the sour crop she has been in our isolation coop with another hen and our retired rooster.

Is there something else I can do for her or is there something I'm overlooking?

All advice greatly appreciated
Thanks
Don

If you can get some human calcium tablets with vitamin D, such as Caltrate or another brand, you can give one of those daily for several days, until you see firm shells. But sometimes there can be a problem with the shell gland if they are eating plenty of calcium and still not laying a normal egg with a shell. My hens will sometimes eat crushed egg shells more eagerly than the crushed oyster shell. Watch for egg binding since shell-less eggs are much harder to lay and can cause egg binding.

If you can get some human calcium tablets with vitamin D, such as Caltrate or another brand, you can give one of those daily for several days, until you see firm shells. But sometimes there can be a problem with the shell gland if they are eating plenty of calcium and still not laying a normal egg with a shell. My hens will sometimes eat crushed egg shells more eagerly than the crushed oyster shell. Watch for egg binding since shell-less eggs are much harder to lay and can cause egg binding.
Thanks I will pick some up in the morning.

Update

I picked up some tums crushed them up and put them in a bowl for her and today we got an egg with a shell. Its shape is a little odd but I'm very happy with her. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Attachments

• 20190218_194914.jpg
    20190218_194914.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 4
Glad to hear your little one is doing well!!
I would wonder with her having sour crop, stopping laying, then laying shell less eggs... is there a reproductive disorder at play. It can effect their crop function so sounds, to me, like it is probably the case. I don't know if there is anything one can do to stop it's progression. I guess just keep a close eye on her - give her calcium anytime her eggs are shell less or soft in any way and check her crop each morning. Other than that, apart from keeping her on a balanced chicken feed with oyster grit available at all times (or eggshell if she prefers):idunno.
I wish you the best with your little one. Hopefully this is just 'an episode' and will be a stand alone. But I would be sceptical about this unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom