1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laying eggs for hatching ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SuburbanChickFarmer, Oct 16, 2008.

1. SuburbanChickFarmer

SuburbanChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    I am almost embarrased to ask this question. I am so new to this so please don't think I'm stupid. I have a mixed flock but am going to let my Welsummer have some chicks. My question is this. Since I normally collect the eggs from her, when I am ready to let her sit on a clutch, do I just stop collecting the eggs and she will get the hint? Or, do I need to do something to give her the idea I want her to sit on them? Also, when she decides that it's time to sit on her eggs, does she still lay one egg per day until she has enough to hatch? How many eggs is normal for a hen to hatch? If she lays an egg a day for say 7 days, are my chicks going to hatch 1 each day for 7 days? You can stop laughing now, I just really am confused at how this works!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    A hen will lay until she starts sitting and will then stop. The eggs will start incubating (and should hatch) all at the same time since she starts sitting on them at the same time. This is called being broody. You really can't "make" a hen go broody. You can leave some eggs and see if she feels like it, but some hens never go broody and others go broody even if there's nothing under them. Good luck!

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:did she ask for chicks?? She would probably rather have a slice of watermellon.

A silly question right back at ya if you dont mind, Do you have a rooster? Are you hoping to get welsummer chicks?? As far as your questions above, she will sit if she decides too, and the only thing you can do is wait for her to decide.

4. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    If you want some chicks, you should probably build your own incubator, Ck out MissPrissy's. Its very affordable and easy to make. Most hens that have broody tendencies have them more in spring and summer, not so much in fall, But there are people on here that have are having broody hens all over the place right now. I dont know much about welsummers but I know that Silkies are VERY broody little guys and you might get some to incubate your welsummer eggs for you. The homemade incubator is your cheepest best bet tho.

5. SuburbanChickFarmer

SuburbanChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    To answer some questions. Yes I have a Welsummer rooster as well as a light brahma rooster. I have had to make a second coop for the Welsummers as the roos started fighting. I only have 10 hens total. Of course my roos were supposed to be hens...

I am thinking of waiting until spring for babies anyway. It has already gotten pretty cold here but my husband keeps asking questions about this subject and I don't have answers. Now I do. I think I read about Welsummers being broddy, but maybe I should call the school up the street and see if I can give them the eggs to hatch and then take the chicks back when they are done. I know my daughters 2nd grade teacher did this 4 years ago and I'm sure she probably still has her incubator. Something to think about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by