Hen laying eggs from roost?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, Sep 11, 2012.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I really need some advice...about 3 weeks ago I ordered a RIR started pullet from McMurray. I'm guessing she's around 20 weeks old and shes been laying now for about 2 weeks. She's great, friendly, lays everyday...But she lays her eggs off the ROOST! I have fake eggs in the nest box....I've even taken her off the roost and sat her in the nest box. She still insists on sitting on the roost to lay eggs. Anyone have any ideas on how to break this???

2. RoosterAddict99

RoosterAddict99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    I have a hen that did that. She didn't do it on purpose, she just didn't bother to lay in the nest. If the pullet is still young she should grow out of it (like mine did). Good luck!

3. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    I am in the same situation now myself, I have 4 that are doing that, and I don't know who is doing it. :/ I have 7 that lay in the nesting boxes, so I had to place the others one in the nesting boxes with eggs in it, they still aren't getting it! Crazy crazy chickens, hope they grow out of it soon! :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by