Hen laying eggs in milkbox

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zylstra4, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Zylstra4

Zylstra4 New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    I have a hen that jumped into our milkbox this morning and has been there all day. The last couple days she has been fluffing her feathers up and making a lot of noises. Is she probably laying eggs in the milkbox and hatching them there? If so do I leave her in it or try to move her and the eggs? We would love to see her have baby chicks as this is a new experience for us.

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yes, sounds like she's "going broody"
    good luck!

and... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome you have a broody mama and your going to have chicks.=)
    Is your milkbox in a safe area?

4. Zylstra4

Zylstra4 New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    It's on our front door step under cover. I am just worried it is soo small that its are for her to get in and out of for food and water. Should I bring food and water next to the milkbox?

5. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I read on here to make sure to supply the mama with food and water. Can wild animals, cats or dogs get to her? Do you have a spot in your coop, garage or barn you could move her to? I would move her some where I knew she didn't have to worry about being attacked. You can still keep her in the milkbox. I usually set up a alone spot in my coop where all my hens can see each other, but where they can't mess with my mama to be. I set the spot up first, cover it in chicken wire to keep other hens out, then carry the mama and eggs to new location. Sometimes they get upset with me because ive disturbed them, but I just put them back on the eggs and they calm down and go back to sitting.
    How many eggs does she have under there? I'm sure its not to small or she wouldn't have picked it. Is it upright or on it's side?

6. Lorettachick

Lorettachick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    I agree, as long as she is safe she will be fine. I have a mama australorpe that sat on 11 eggs in a 12x12 nesting box and she hatched 7 babies, only lost one and the others just didn't hatch. I just moved her to a small pen when they started hatching. Just put her food and water nearby. Good luck!

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How Cool!!! Chicks on the front step!! Love it!! Please keep in touch! And we WANT PICS TOO!! YAY!!

8. Zylstra4

Zylstra4 New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    Unfortunately the hen left the milkbox this morning with the egg in it and hasn't returned :(

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair &amp; Feathers

Oh, well...... Hey, but she delivered you a fresh egg for breakfast - how cool is that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by