Hen laying eggs on ground

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hnybny91, Feb 10, 2013.

1. hnybny91

hnybny91 Just Hatched

Jan 26, 2013
    Hi all [​IMG] I have ten hens and I thought all were laying (for about six weeks now) but last week I found an egg on the ground from a hold out easter egger. I know it was a new egg because it was cone shaped and small. We found a few first eggs on the floor of the coop from some of the other girls but they immediately layed the rest of their eggs in the nesting boxes after that. This hold out seems to lay all eggs on the floor of the coop. Is it just slow and will eventually start laying in the nesting box? The number of nesting boxes available is not the problem because we have six of them, even though only about three get used (one is even so popular I have seen two hens laying at the same time...lol.)

2. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    That sounds like my girls, LOL. They seem to have a mind of their own. Most of my girls lay in their nesting boxes, but a couple absolutely REFUSE to lay in the boxes. I've even gone so far as to put eggs that were on the floor in the nesting box & they actually got the eggs BACK OUT of the box & back on the floor & laid another egg ON THE FLOOR [​IMG]. Tried the golf ball thing too, same result. Chickens, definitely have a mind of their own.

3. hnybny91

hnybny91 Just Hatched

Jan 26, 2013
    Yes they do [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by