Hen laying eggs on ground

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizard7, Jul 23, 2008.

1. lizard7

lizard7 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Kansas
    I have just introduced 2 6-week old chicks to my one lone hen. They seem to be getting along alright in the coop but the hen has been laying her eggs in the straw on the ground ever since (last 4 days). Is this a problem? Will she just go back to her nest when she gets used to them? Anything I should do?

2. mine lay on the ground under the nestbox, I have tried all kind of fake eggs to try to tell them where to lay but i guess I have hard headed chickens, they still lay on the ground, so I give up and let them lay whever they want, I just collect them every day.[​IMG] marrie

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Usually if you put fake eggs in the nest box or golf balls, they get the idea; they typicall like to lay where (they think) others have laid.

Nest boxes should be in a quiet, dark area, and they should be lower than the roost. They should also have nesting material in them such as straw or pine shavings (I use pine shavings and that works just fine).

4. lizard7

lizard7 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Kansas
    She was using the nesting box just fine until the new chicks came along. Thanks for the replies, I am hoping she gets back to normal soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by