Hen laying eggs will chicks survive winter ? help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MSH, Nov 9, 2011.

1. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    ok so my old english bantam just laid an egg today I was shocked I thought they were all done for this year since it's been cold and all but I was wrong my question is will she set on the eggs she lays and hatch them and if she does will they survive the winter we're in north Georgia ?? for shelter they have basicall a dog house filled with hay lol and the nest is a little wood box with hay in it ??? I have a bunch of chickens like 30 but this is the only one thats laying eggs the rest stopped about a month ago

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    She will only sit on them if she is broody. If she lays the egg and wanders off for the rest of the day, she's not sitting on them. In that case, collect them & use them to eat. If she is broody, they should be fine--it's not cold enough yet to worry about the chicks. Besides, they will dissappear under her to the point that you cant see them. Mama knows best & she will take care of them & keep them warm.

3. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    thanks for the reply lol hubby just informed me that it's going down to 30 degrees tonight so I'm just gonna pick em up cause she's not broody just laying got 2 now lol I was hoping I could let her hatch one more bunch this year but I guess I'll just have to wait lol

4. jlmrazek

jlmrazek Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Memphis Tennessee
    My hen just hatched 14 splash silkies out and i was worried about it getting cold but she is big enough to keep them warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by