Hen laying eggs with calcium deposits?

ChickenMom04

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
I recently adopted a hen from a family who couldn’t care for her anymore. They told us she would sometimes lay “weird” eggs, but she was fine for a good while after we got her home. Her eggs had strong shells with the minor imperfection of a few bumps. Lately I’ve been collecting weak shelled eggs from her, but not like I’ve seen before. They’re rough and bumpy but at the same time they crack upon picking them up. What supplements can I give her? We were giving them calcium for a while but it appears the issue has returned. I’ve had hens laying squishy eggs before (which have been easily fixed with a daily calcium supplement in their food) but I’ve never seen an egg have these deposits while still being so fragile. Pictures of her most recent egg below:

A week ago:

114369DE-DEA0-4EC1-A29D-F5683ED63021.jpeg

Yesterday:
0B21D5DF-B0F9-4ACC-BDC4-19DFC272BA75.jpeg

Attachments

• 59B3544E-1BC8-4AC3-9DF1-2C69D4F34AC6.jpeg
    59B3544E-1BC8-4AC3-9DF1-2C69D4F34AC6.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 1
Do you have calcium available for the hens at all times?

Wonder if this is why her previous owner gave her away...
we had stopped giving them calcium a while ago but I think we still have some crushed oyster shells stored away. I’ll start mixing some in with their food. The other hens were doing fine without the supplement, it just seems she has a bit of a wonky system :rolleyes:. Her previous owner gave her away because she was getting picked on by her other hens. She’s always been timid so it makes her a good target for bullies. Luckily she does a lot better with us and our flock has accepted her pretty well. Her owner had warned us that she laid “weird” eggs but that it didn’t affect her physically. I just don’t want the eggs to become too weak and break inside of her. I’ll definitely start giving her calcium again.

I really don't think calcium is her issue; your first photo shows little calcium granules and the second shows a very rough surface: both are signs of excess calcium.

I really don't think calcium is her issue; your first photo shows little calcium granules and the second shows a very rough surface: both are signs of excess calcium.
Nah, her egg gland is malfunctioning and probably always has.

Nah, her egg gland is malfunctioning and probably always has.
but the OP said she was laying normally, so that can't be right.
I did not note where I read it (I know, tut tut) but I did note that
Vit D deficiency leads to cycle of normal egg, then thin or soft shelled, then reduced production, then back to normal. Add cod liver oil @2% (NOT MORE)

but the OP said she was laying normally, so that can't be right.
I did not note where I read it (I know, tut tut) but I did note that
Vit D deficiency leads to cycle of normal egg, then thin or soft shelled, then reduced production, then back to normal. Add cod liver oil @2% (NOT MORE)
Yeah, sorry, I got it confused with another thread.

Back
Top Bottom