Hen laying eggs WITHOUT shell; egg broke inside few weeks back. HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by new_to_the_coop, Dec 1, 2011.

1. new_to_the_coop

new_to_the_coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Hello everyone. I am in need of some serious advice. I can not find any info online for my particular problem. I think my 14 months old BA hen has begun to molt (I have to assume, she has a few bald spots and the coop is full of feathers). An egg broke inside of her a few weeks back. [​IMG] I was able to get the remaining egg out, and she seemed to recover. She has not laid since. I was not too worried about that, because I figured her body was readjusting after the egg breakage, which was due to a possible molt and her calcium/protein levels being off.

OK. Fast forward to today. Well, I went out to the coop, and she laid an egg without a shell. I found the egg membrane in the nesting box, and the hens had eaten what they could of the contents. [​IMG] I have no idea if it broke inside and she passed it, or if she was able to pass it whole, and they pecked it open.

I am so totally confused as so what is going on. I assumed if her calcium was off (or other minerals, etc), or if she was in molt, that she would just stop laying. Why is she now laying eggs without a shell? I only have two hens, and the other one is acting fine. The hen in question is acting ok, not extremely active, but she is out in the run and her tail is up. Her comb and wattles are red and look good. Is she in trouble? What can I do??? [​IMG]

I feed them layer crumbles, they have access to oyster shell, fresh water, and I also given them approproate treats (leftovers like scrambled eggs, yogurt, certain greens, etc).

Please, please, please help me!!! [​IMG]

2. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have no advice for you. I can tell you that I had a hen do that too. She laid nicely for awhile, went broody, stopped laying, laid soft eggs with no shell and went back to normal.
    I think chickens have a lot of reproductive issues. Some just can't be fixed. It sounds like you are doing all you can.

I don't know how often you give treats, the only thing I can think of is cut back on treats and make them eat the layer feed more.?

3. new_to_the_coop

new_to_the_coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    UPDATE: Quick update (already). I appear to be wrong - somewhat. She does not look herself. She is standing in the sunshine, in the door to the coop, sleeping. Head tucked. Just standing there. She never does this. Ever. Could she be simply tired due to a possible molt? Or, may she have an infection from the egg break a few weeks back?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by