Hen Laying False Eggs? Help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleBrownie, Nov 17, 2019.

1. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie 4D Personality

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    So I’ve noticed one of my hens has been laying eggs at night and they’re falling below her (undeveloped)
    I’ve noticed this in the past 3 days, thinking it’d go away, but I just checked right now (8:53PM) and there’s an egg.
    She’s 2 years old, eats and drinks fine, behaves like herself.
    She’s the only one that lays since my other two are much older and haven’t laid eggs in a couple years.
    Please help!
    28A58014-1889-48BD-9F52-FA5056C1EBDF.jpeg

chrissynemetz, mamajos and penny1960 like this.
  2. gtaus

gtaus Crowing

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well, you have had chickens much longer than me, so I am hesitant to offer any suggestions except what has worked for me. I have fake wooden eggs in my nest boxes and my girls lay their eggs in the nest boxes with the fake eggs. From looking at your picture, it appears that the shell is not well formed. I have commercial layer crumble for my girls which is supposed to have the required calcium for good egg shell development, but I also have a side dish of calcium for my girls. I also crush up used egg shells and feed them back to the girls. So far, my first year hens are laying good eggs.

Also, from what I understand, hens should be laying eggs during daylight hours. So I wonder what's up with your girl dropping false eggs at night while roosting. I'll be following this thread to read what others with more experience have to say. Hope your girl gets back to normal soon.

3. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Do you offer oyster free choice please and what are you feeding them otherwise please

4. LittleBrownie

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    My dad recently got a new feed for them, so most likely that’s what it is.
    C0A5E566-5DFD-47B9-BB30-93422888ADF0.jpeg
    We’re going to get them some shells to mix in. I just got really scared that there was something wrong with her internally.
    We actually haven’t had shells in their feed for a while now and she laid whole eggs without it till now.

penny1960, chrissynemetz and gtaus like this.
  5. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    That is probably the problem. That is NOT feed. Scratch is chicken treats. You need to get your flock back on balanced feed ASAP.

6. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Crowing

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Are your hens laying right now, or do your hens usually lay during the winter?
    I have one hen that was doing that when she was going out of lay, when she started molting.

chrissynemetz and gtaus like this.
  7. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Crowing

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Yeah that’s not chicken feed. Sharp eye!

8. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Hi, again! I just looked up Du Mor's feeding instructions for the scratch pictured above:

Feeding Instructions:
    Feed daily from a feeder or scattered on the ground. DuMOR 5-Grain Scratch is not fortified and generally should not comprise more than 10% of the diet. Provide your birds with a complete feed formulated for the appropriate species and age. Because of the larger particle size, DuMOR 5-Grain Scratch is generally not recommended for birds less than 8 weeks of age.

It's an honest mistake, and the packages look the exact same as feed packages.

9. LittleBrownie

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    Ah, thank you very much!
    Only one still lays, and they haven’t started to moult yet.

chrissynemetz, Shezadandy and gtaus like this.
  10. LittleBrownie

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    I’ll have to go out and buy them their regular feed + oyster shells tomorrow. Thank you all for the responses!

chrissynemetz, Shezadandy and gtaus like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: