1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laying odd eggs in odd places - Pictures!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moxiechick, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    About a week ago, I saw our Speckled Sussex hen, Kitty, suddenly stop in the middle of the lawn, and adopt a stance that looked like a little owl. A few moments later, she laid a smallish egg that had a paper thin shell. While odd, I thought maybe it was one of those fluke things and she was just squeezing out an extra egg that didn't have time to form a full shell.

Today, she was standing up on the picnic table, and the same exact thing happened! She discharged about a teaspoon of clear liquid with a few hints of wispy white matter before laying the egg. I had been taking photos of the chickens, and so had my camera ready.

Owl stance from the back.
    [​IMG]

A few moments later!
    [​IMG]

The odd egg next to a normal egg from an EE hen. The shell depressed from the pressure of my fingertips, it was so thin!
    [​IMG]

She is the only hen doing this (that I'm aware of). They are fed Blue Seal Egg Maker Crumbles, and get occasional treats - usually fruit or veggies, and a hand full of BOSS. They get to free range in the evenings about 4-5 times a week. They've been getting quite a few Japanese beetles. Oyster shell is available all times from a little hopper. She acts fine other than the odd egg. She went right back to free ranging without a care in the world after she laid it.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    How old is she? Has she ever laiid in a normal place?

3. Moxiechick

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    She just turned a year old in July. She usually uses the nesting boxes. [​IMG]

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    If she was a newly laying pullet I would have an explanation. This time, nope. Sorry. Wonder what her deal is?

5. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    One of my hens sometimes does the same. She has layed soft-shelled eggs in the weirdest places! One time she layed one on top of our car! It has always passed within a week or a little bit longer. I would have suggested oyster shells because it sounds like she's not getting enough calcium to make her egg shells strong--but it looks like you're already doing that. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have also read about this being caused by shock or stress. Anything scared her lately? Has something happened that could have caused her to be stressed?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  6. Moxiechick

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:Not that I'm aware of. She is the most out going and friendly of all my chickens, and not flighty at all. [​IMG]

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    If a hen is a bit unwell for any reason they can lay soft shelled eggs for a few days. The eggs usually return to normal within a week.

I've just had an ancient Warren (brown egg-laying hybrid aged 5.5...ancient for her type) who laid yolk and albumin without even a membrane for a few days. She was non-specifically unwell in herself. Since then she progressed to shells eggs, then slightly soft shelled eggs, and she is now back to her usual feisty self with rock-hard egg shells.

8. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Watching closely to the answers you get because I just posted something similar to this... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by