1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HEN LAYING ON BACK W/ FEET IN THE AIR?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fawn and Fam, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Two days ago I found my 7 year old son for the 1st time holding his pet hen Sophie contently on her back w/ her feet in the air. He said he had been holding her for about 3 minutes. When he went to hold our other hen Eva (in the normal position) Sophie ran up and pecked her in the face. This happened each time he held Eva over the next 45 minutes. Sophie is the sweetest girl and the only time I have ever seen her peck her sister is when Eva steals her sleeping spot.
    The next day their was a puddle of clear liquid w/ an egg in the nesting box. Also Sophie pecked Eva in the face 2x's for no apparent reason this time (Eva had blood running down her beak).
    Today my son found Sophie laying on top of the concrete block (in the spot where the feeder sets, it was knocked off). She was on her back w/ her feet in the air. My son was out there for over an hour so I went to check on him and she was still laying there in that same position (so for a minimum of over an hour). She rolled off when she saw me, probably because I'm the food lady and then she was acting normal. When we went to put them to bed she still hadn't laid an egg for the day and there was another puddle of clear liquid in the nesting box. Any thoughts?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Check to make sure there is not a broken egg inside of her. Other hens will pick on a sick hen. As far as the laying on the back... I know they say that chickens cannot breath if on their back, but I have had to check on my girls many times in a dust bath because I thought they were dead with how long they would lay on their back.

3. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    How exactly do I do that??? I'm afraid I might damage her if nothing is wrong. Also the 1st day it was like water and the 2nd it was just like the clear white of an egg.

4. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you for the information it was helpful in knowing that she wasn't displaying any of the typical symptoms. She laid an egg this morning[​IMG] . We still are keeping a close eye on her in case she has EYP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by