Hen laying on coop floor

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RichtmanRanch, Jan 6, 2014.

1. RichtmanRanch

RichtmanRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    It is cold here in Minnesota today! Was -22 now up to -18. Ahhhh I can just feel the sun warming me up as we speak… NOT Any how, aside from being tired of the cold. My girls survived the night, I should also say this is my first winter with Chickens. However I noticed this morning on of my hens is bedding down in the straw on coop floor. I have never seen her do this before. I guess it is possible she may do this when I am at work. Regardless why would she be doing this? Is this normal? Any time i look out there she is usually scratching up a storm. Should I keep a close eye on her? I guess I already am today with the cold temps. But they have a heat lamp above the perch, it is about 20-25 degrees by roost. The coop is elevated so I put down lots of extra straw to keep the cold from entering through the floor. She seems to be eating and pooping and drinking just the same. But is this a reaction to the cold weather? Why would she be on the floor if it is warmer on the roost. I would say all four seem a little less active today, but overall seem to be ok. Their feet also appear to be healthy, no frost bite symptoms, i guess it is also possible on my hen who is queen of the coop may be preventing them from perching, sometimes she can be a real witch. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    It is totally normal for hens to lay ANYWHERE but the nesting box. I have 3 that are currently laying behind a shovel of all places :/ I have even found an egg laying right under the roosts not even in a "nest" like they got caught unawares and just dropped it while sleeping... Straw and hay are much warmer for the chickens because they trap the heat in the hollow area of the stalks as long as it is dry. She may not be able to keep her feet warm on the perch and prefers the nice fluffy warm straw.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I have 5-6 hens that lay on the floor, no matter what I do. They have one box per every four birds, the boxes are nice and private, they are bedded with happy straw, but every day I have 3-6 eggs on the floor under the nest boxes.

With a lot of things about chickens, just remember this mantra: "Some chickens are just weird."

4. RichtmanRanch

RichtmanRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    Haha, I am finding that Mantra to be true as well. They can be so peculiar sometimes. Each one seems to have their own distinct personality. I had one lay one on the floor there other morning, and she was just inches from the nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by