hen laying on her right side / wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fr27davis, Apr 24, 2011.

1. fr27davis

fr27davis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    is this normal? she walks / runs fine when she is laying on her side she is eating still and picking around, no limping or anything like that. just want to make sure is fine.

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    does she do this all the time?
    mine do that when they are " dust bathing" or sometimes they will just lie their for a little while and take their time preening and organizing their feathers

3. Hhoky

Hhoky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    My chickies like to flop over on their side from time to time. Especially to sun bath. I have one who from time to time even tries to flop over on her side and lounge up on the roost. Silly girl. As long as she is still healthy and normal otherwise she should be fine. I remember the first time I saw one of my girls all flopped over, eyes closed I thought omg. But turns out its just really comfy. [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sunbathing, vitamin D from the sun...they know when they need it [​IMG]

5. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Mine do this before/after/during a good roll in the dirt. If the sun is bright, they'll just lay like that all "road-kill" in the yard for some time, just soaking up the sun.
    I was worried the first time I saw it too. >_<
    No one tells you all the strange things to expect when you buy your first chicks.

6. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    One of my older silkie hens was doing this yesterday during the few seconds of sunshine we had.

It freaked me out a little since she was in the back of the chicken run by herself and had one foot stuck up in the air. She was enjoying it so much that she didn't notice me walking up and standing over her. I realized she was alive about the time she realized I was standing there. Pretty sure I came close to giving the poor thing a heart attack [​IMG]

7. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
  8. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    DO NOT WORRY! I freaked out to when I first saw this. You know when turtles and other reptiles lie out in the heat or sun? Kinda same for a chicken. They like to have one wing out to soak up the heat and usually will stand and flop to other side to do the same. They are just chillin.[​IMG]

9. fr27davis

fr27davis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    thanks every one!

10. eastereggermom

eastereggermom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2012
    This just happened to me today! So glad you posted this question...yours was the first answer up on my Google search! I thought she was a goner. Instead, I guess I should have given her some Coppertone and sunglasses! Thanks again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by