1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laying on side/back, acting injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sue4rescue, May 21, 2016.

1. sue4rescue

sue4rescue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2015
    One of my 5-month old Americana hens has been acting strange. She is free-range and for almost two weeks I would find her laying on her side and would have to pick her up to get her going, then I found her on her back for several days in a row, thought for sure she was a goner but now she seems ok. I was thinking perhaps she had a head injury from one of our Llamas or goats but now another hen has started acting the same way. Just like the first one, when I pick her up, one side seems paralyzed for a minute until she gets going, then she seems fine and eats and drinks. Any thoughts?

I wanted to add, I brought these two hens home 3 months ago when they were 8 weeks old and my other3 hens (Buff Orpingtons) have never accepted them, they pick on them even though they all free rage.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    have you used any pesticides and what is the temp in your area

3. sue4rescue

Jul 10, 2015
    No pesticides, we are in San Diego, CA and temps have bee in the low 70's

4. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    do you have any pics

5. sue4rescue

Jul 10, 2015
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

6. sue4rescue

Jul 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. sue4rescue

Jul 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. sue4rescue

Jul 10, 2015
    This is her dropping, pretty small compared to normal
    I just went out and found her on her back, it's almost dusk, her feet were very cold. After I picked her up and put her back on her feet, she wabbled a bit then walked away and went to feed.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  9. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    probobly worn out but the only thing that i would think would do that is it might be sick so seperate it from the others and have bloodwork done and do the same to the other one that is doing it to

10. sue4rescue

Jul 10, 2015
    ok, thanks. One of my hens has brand new chicks, hope it is not too late for them. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by