1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laying premature/custard-like 'eggs'

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jcb2, Feb 11, 2012.

1. jcb2

jcb2 New Egg

Feb 11, 2012
    Hi Folks, new member here...

About a week ago our 1 1/2 year-old amber sexlink started acting lethargic and would not lay. She is a pretty regular layer so it was strange that she stopped. She sleeps most of the day and will perk up a few times and eat a little something and sip some water. Thought she was egg bound and gave her a very warm bath for 40 mins (no egg). The next day we gave her 2 separate steam baths (2 hours each) No egg.

When I felt her at first I just thought she was egg bound but now it seems a bit larger and feels 'feverish' and hot. Tried to check for an egg using glove dipped in olive oil but could not find my way never having done it before. Second attempt she was very uncomfortable. Her poop is yellow with some brown solids. Vent is normal color - no abrasions or blood.

While she was laying on the floor today, she pooped/layed a small bean-sized 'egg'. It looks like a cooked white bean but has no hardness and is beige and custard-like throughout. There seems to be a membrane over it (like the skin of a cooked bean) like it could be a premature egg. When we saw that we were reminded of a time about a week ago when we retrieved an empty paper plate of treats from the coop with 4 other bean-like 'eggs' on it. Didn't think much of it at the time and assumed it was something they didn't eat.

Wondering if she has EYP, but have never heard of the mini egg issue. I have looked for similar posts but all the other mini egg posts had shells and yolks, etc.

Anyone have an idea of what this could be or a treatment?

Sorry for such a long post - wanted to give as much info as possible. Thank you!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by