Hen laying problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by asouthernthang, Mar 23, 2013.

1. asouthernthang

asouthernthang New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    Hello, we just built our first chicken tractor and are excited about having chickens again ( we had them before on a farm that we sold) now we are in the suburbs so to speak.... the problem is we bought a barred rock hen local that was supposed to be a laying hen, we have had her a week and no eggs. Would the move cause her to quit laying and is there anyway to guess how long a week, a month before she starts again ?? the lady also had Rhode island Reds but i am hesitant about getting one until this one starts laying, i am really worried about it being a old hen that quit laying...any advise is greatly appreciated !!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Moving all alone to a new place will put her off laying. Give her time to settle in, she'll likely start laying again. Unless she's an older hen? Did she tell you how old this one is? I would have brought home one or two of her flockmates as well. Chickens don't like to live alone!

3. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

if u get another hen it might help her out a bit

4. asouthernthang

asouthernthang New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    ok, might go tomorrow an get one of the rhode island reds the lady has, maybe that will help

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, hopefully she's not just selling off her older stock that's not laying anymore! Just be prepared for them not to get along very well right off the bat, unless they were together before. It may take a while for them to settle in. Let them get aquainted through a fence first or let them out together in the yard or someplace safe for them to roam around a bit. Once they get used to each other they'll be happy for the company.

6. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

what i do with my new hens is i just put them out in the yard with the others but i put the new hens by my rooster whos the boss and if their good with him then their safe if he doesn't like them the old alpha roo will grab them right up lol

7. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    It's most likely the move. Put some apple cider vinegar in her water.. It helps with the stress. Other than that, just have plenty of water and lay feed available at all times. You should be getting eggs in a couple weeks. (it can take a while to adjust)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by