hen laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by billorpington, Oct 29, 2014.

1. billorpington

billorpington New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    I have 4 barred rock hens that I purchased as chicks (from same hatchery) in March (2014). Two of them have been laying for a couple months but the other two nothing. They share the same food and environment. Any ideas.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    There can be different maturation rates even in one breed. Questions begets questions: are you sure the non layers are pullets. If yes, are they showing maturation signs - red combs/wattles - squatting?

3. billorpington

billorpington New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    They are all about the same maturity level (red wattles, ears and so on). They look identical - I've outfitted them with plastic colored leg bands to tell them apart. One of the two delinquents occasionally sits on the nesting box for a while and makes a powerful racket (alas, no egg). if you reach down to touch her she squats down. The other is very skittish and doesn't like to be touched (my suspicion is she is "bottom chicken"). Thanks for your reply. I guess we'll just wait and see.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Likely they are just later bloomers. But the good news is, the longer to mature, the more likely they will lay larger eggs from the beginning. Sounds like they will start laying soon. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by