1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laying small eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Linda91722, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Linda91722

Linda91722 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    California
    Hello I was curious if Barred Rocks lay small eggs. I have for RIR and ley all lay large to extra large eggs and my BR just started laying a couple of days a go and her eggs are small, is this normal or will her eggs get bigger as she grows?

2. vyvial

vyvial Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    My 2 new Americaunas just started laying last week and they are real small as well but my older one layers much larger eggs. I think the eggs will get bigger as they get older.

Our barred rocks lay large eggs.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Her eggs are probably small because she just started laying. My BR's lay huge eggs.

4. Linda91722

Linda91722 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    California
    That make me feel better, she is a big girl almost as big as my RIR I guess she needs a little more time to get them large. I do have to say they are so small there cute [​IMG]

5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    They'll get bigger........give her time.

6. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    I have 3 BRs who just started laying in early January. Their eggs have gotten progressively bigger over time. I would say when they started, they were "medium" if you go by store sizes. Now they are definitely large and sometimes XL.

7. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 BR and an egg scale. They have been laying for about 2 months.

One laid a medium egg 1.9 oz her first egg. Soon, within a week, she was up to L and then hit XL about a month into laying. Now, 2 months into laying, she is usually XL but occasional L.

The other one started out much smaller. Her eggs have also not increase in size. She lays size Medium, often medium-small, and she has NEVER laid a large egg, although a few were the upper end of medium. I do expect them to get larger as she gets older; she is about 8 months.

The first BR lays the largest eggs of any of my chickens, and the second one lays the smallest. So, I would say it varies with the individual chicken.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by