Hen laying soft eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StellaStewart, Oct 10, 2016.

1. StellaStewart

StellaStewart Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    My hen just started laying about 3 weeks ago, she lays an egg a day, and the eggs have mostly been perfect. She stopped laying for two whole days, and then yesterday I found an egg white and yolk sitting on the ground (no where near a nesting box) and the shell was shrivelled up a few feet away. Since then i have found two more eggs separated from the shell like this. (My thought was that my hen tried to pick up the egg and then the insides dropped right out of the soft shell.)
    Today she laid two eggs one tiny lumpy one that was hard, and then one that looked nice at first but when you tried to pick it up it had a vert soft shell [as pictured below]. Does this mean she has a calcium deficiency or is it just a couple of bad eggs? There has been no new foods or stresses in her environment, only the changing seasons. Thanks[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    As long as you are feeding layers, or general flock feed with optional oyster shell, i would not worry. It can take some time before a pullet gets her egg laying machinery sorted.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Cut out treats....Feed layer feed , oyster shell in separate bowl...Feeding to many treats will cause laying hens to not produce great eggs...5% of daily ration should only be the amount of threats..Meaning a tablespoon per bird....

Cheers!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would be curious to see the "tiny lumpy one that was hard".

Soft shelled eggs are not unusual for new layers but the sudden onset is odd....
    .....are you positive this is not another new layer?

What and how exactly are you feeding?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  5. twilightgecko

twilightgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    New York
    my neighbours had a silkie cross that is a few years old, and all of her eggs were that hard bumpy shell.. one of their friends always ate the ugly eggs.. said they were fine inside..

6. StellaStewart

StellaStewart Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    I know I haven't replied but thanks for your sggestions and interest! I have been occasionally been feeding her oyster shells and been cutting back on the cherry tomatoes, and all her eggs have been perfect ever since! I'm sure she was still getting used to laying, but with these suggestions i've been getting a perfect egg from her every day. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by