Hen Laying then quit, why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mkhenderson17, Sep 8, 2010.

1. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Ok So I have a Millie fleur hen, she was laying great- 4 eggs a week her first 3 weeks, then she just stoped. its been 2 weeks and I have not gotten any eggs. She is in with two younger hens but there were there when she started laying. i have not changed their feed or anyting. any one know what might be going on? She is in a large cage outside (my standard roos go after her and hurt her, and my dog goes after my bantams) so she is getting plenty of light. Im just confused.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    A few things come to mind.....Is she acting broody? Broodiness can stop laying. Or is she molting? That's another reason for decreased laying. Not sure what region you're in, but there is definitely a decrease in daylight hours here in Ohio. That could also be it.

Just a couple of things to think about.....

Sharon

3. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    She is not acting broody or molting. she is like 5mts old if that helps lol. Yeah I live in Ohio. I was thinking about moving her pen into my barn, she will get some sunlight but I would be able to suppliment her more too. IDK I just thought it was weird... thanks! Im from Columbiana county, right near the pa line, what part of ohio are you from?

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Has she started to molt? I think there are so many reason for chicken to stop. Patience is my recommendation

5. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    No she is not molting.... she is running around with her 2 buddies more but her personality has not changed or anything either so I dont think shes broody either. thanks

6. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    Ok, So here is my findings... when I put the two younger pullets in with her, a week later she stoped laying, Then last night I put those 3 in with 2 new older pullets, the younger girls started peeping and running behind the millie hen. She was chasing the others away from teh younger girls....so Im goina say broody..... How long do you think this will last? They are coming on 12 weeks or so now. I just dont know anything. Im a first time chicken owner lol. thank for your help everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by