hen laying too many eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by liz13, Jun 8, 2011.

1. liz13

liz13 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    I have a red star hen that started laying on Easter. She laid great until 2 weeks ago. Now she is laying 2 eggs a day. They are coming through her so fast that there is hardly any shell or pigment. On the rare day that she lays 1 egg it is a double yolker. Is there a way to "reset" her egg laying back to 1 normal egg a day. I know this is not good for her. She and her 3 companions are out from daylight to dark. If I let them out later in the morning, sort of shorten their day, will it make any difference. The other 3 are as regular as a clock.

I've been trying to think of what I'm doing different in the last 2 weeks. I did run out of purina layer and the local sells blue seal, so there is a change in feed by brand. The weather has also changed from a steady rain through the month of May to warm and sunny. They are all happy and alert, in fact I have never caught one of them loafing around, they are trusting and want all the attention they can get.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    There is a way to force molt them, but I dont remember how, maybr you can search it??

3. Jaspa

Jaspa New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    Please see my submission of this morning called over ovulating - we have a similar problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by