Hen laying very rough-shelled eggs

Backyard Hencam

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
I have six hens, all good layers. The smallest of the flock, a golden-laced Wyandotte, has begun laying eggs with very rough shells. It is like they are covered with sandpaper. She takes a long time to lay them (at least an hour). It can't be very comfortable for her but I haven't gotten out the Preparation H yet!

I give the hens oyster shells mixed in with their food. Is there anything else I can do?
idunno.gif

My Welsummer will occasionally do this. I noticed she was rubbish at drinking from the water hanger so I added a shallow water bowl outside the coop and she seems to be a bit better. No idea if it is coincidence or not.

I would stop mixing the oyster shell in with the food and instead offer it free choice in a separate container if I were you. They seem to know how much they need and will help themselves when they know they need it. Force-feeding it can result in getting too much calcium and they have to expel the extra somehow....

Quote:
I agree. Offer the oyster shell seperate. Different chickens have different calcium requirements, just like us humans.

I would stop mixing the oyster shell in with the food and instead offer it free choice in a separate container if I were you. They seem to know how much they need and will help themselves when they know they need it. Force-feeding it can result in getting too much calcium and they have to expel the extra somehow....

I will try this! An old farmer in a feedstore told me....."Awwww, just mix in a handful in the feed." I've been doing, this but, like you said, perhaps they are getting too much! Thanks for the advice.​

Back
Top Bottom