"Hen" lays and crows????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenniePennie2, Aug 29, 2010.

1. HenniePennie2

HenniePennie2 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Oregon
    I have an 8 month old Delaware that is huge. She is 22" tall. She has been laying huge eggs, some double yolkers, a few a week and now she is crowing??? I only have 7 hens various breeds that are also laying so I don't have too many to not have a roo. She just started sporadically crowing this last week. Also she does not have spurs.
    What is with her?? anyone have any suggestions?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I think I read that when there is no rooster that a dominant hen will sometimes crow. It's not an outright crow but a close imitation.[​IMG]

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I've heard of this often. What I'm wondering is whether she has saddle feathers that look pointy like a roo- I have a friend who seems to have an androgenous bird like that.

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have read a few different articles where a chicken seems to change sexes.

5. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    crowing is not a reliable indicator of gender. Have you ever heard the old saying "Whistling girls and crowing hens always meet with some bad end"
    If the chicken is laying eggs, it's a hen. Period

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I think it is nothing more than the girl who lays and crows is alpha hen.

She is not changing sex,

Sandie

7. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Ive had this happen......... She was bottom hen until i sold the 2 other hens i had.. she went straight to top hen over the younger chickens that i just introduced.. the power went to her head and she imitated crowing for a few weeks...... she doesn't do it as much now.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have one I call "Mouth of the South", a Delaware named Maxie (maximum volume, for sure!). She sounds like a bellowing cow, stretches her neck out for volume and just goes and goes and goes.

9. HenniePennie2

HenniePennie2 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Oregon
    Thank you, thank you!!
    My neighbor keeps telling me she is a roo cuz she crows & I say just because a chicken crows it doesn't mean its a roo. She hasn't layed for about 5 days now & I really miss those huge double yokers!!
    She definately is the largest and the dominate one. She even tries to spar through the fence with my dog. It's pretty funny to watch.
    I named her Barbie but she doesn't fit the profile now....lol She was originally tall and lankey now very tall and very big.

Again thanks for all the replies. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. damien

damien New Egg

Mar 3, 2010
    my banty hen started crowing today.

her and the japanese banty rooster were both on the roost taking turns crowing.

She sounded like she was copying him.

Almost the excat same crow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by