Hen lays in the feeder - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by deanawo, Jul 16, 2010.

1. deanawo

deanawo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    I have a hanging feeder sitting on bricks in the hen house. I love it b/c it holds several days worth of feed. No matter what kind of board, etc I have tried on top I have a hen that knocks it off and lays an egg in the feeder. I really don't want to hang it as it is hard to lift the feed bags up to fill it. Any ideas for something that will fit on the top?

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    a picture would probably help... i made my own auto feeders out of stove vent pipe and a galvanized tray. so the top is flat( no hangers as of right now. i tried mike crats but that encouraged them to perch there. i took it off and everyone leaves it alone now.

what about a top to a pot? an old one you can drill holes in and somehow attach it.. ? hmm

oh and i use 5 gallon buckets to transfer feed from my bins to the auto feeders.

3. deanawo

Sep 14, 2009
    Its just a standard store bought round metal feeder sitting on a couple of bricks. I put an old lid in the hole but as the feed went down so did the lid so she laid on it. So it would have to attach somehow.

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I use a hanging feeder also. But I hang it from the ceiling of the coop. Is that an option for you? I cut a little hole in an old ice cream (gallon) lid for the hook of the feeder and laid it over the top of the feeder to keep the dust/dirt out. Works pretty good, but the feeder does hang.

5. nitro3custom

nitro3custom Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    If the eggs aren't getting damaged I don't see any harm in it laying an egg on the top.

6. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    How about getting a feed scoop. Then you will not have to lift that bag so high.

7. deanawo

Sep 14, 2009
    If I hang it will they still lay in there? I will keep working on a lid idea. I love ice cream I may have to go get a gallon & try the lid.

8. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I had an issue with mine roosting on the feeder. I took a piece of chicken wire and rolled it up and put it in the top of the feeder. Now they can't sit on the feeder and I can fill it with the wire in it. The feed works around the chicken wire.

9. deanawo

Sep 14, 2009
    Quote:Oh I have a little piece right near the coop that would just fit, I will try it tomorrow. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by