Hen Leaves Chick at Night; Rejoins in Morning

BayBay Peepers

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Wisconsin
Here's something I never thought would happen. (also this is my first time letting hens raise chicks)

I had two hens go broody and each ended up with one chick. As of now they are 4 weeks. The hens are Pearl and Banana just to make this easier to explain.

Two nights ago Banana left her chick to go in the main coop. The chick went in the pen with Pearl and her chick. The next morning Banana took her chick back with her. Last night same story. But both hens went in the coop. Pearl came back out after a minute and took both chicks with her into their pen. This morning Banana has her chick back.

Is Banana trying to get the chick to start roosting? Maybe Pearl is too, but is just more patient? Or is this the weaning process?

I'm all ears and eyes here :) I don't suspect the chick is in danger or anything, I would just like to know if anyone else has seen something similar or knows a bit more about hen chick relationships.

It could be the hens sharing the chicks. When I had 2 broody chickens sometimes the chicks would switch mommas. But since your chicks are 4 weeks of age you will start to slowly see the mothers leaving the chicks. At 5 or 6 weeks of age the mother will leave them completely when she feels they can take care of themselves. My chicks are 6 weeks and the mother totally left them. So it might be they are sharing or slowly weaning them off.

It could be the hens sharing the chicks. When I had 2 broody chickens sometimes the chicks would switch mommas. But since your chicks are 4 weeks of age you will start to slowly see the mothers leaving the chicks. At 5 or 6 weeks of age the mother will leave them completely when she feels they can take care of themselves. My chicks are 6 weeks and the mother totally left them. So it might be they are sharing or slowly weaning them off.
I agree with the above.
Lucky you to have such nice hens that get along and share
smile.png

I had two separate pens for the Hens and they each went to their own with their own chick every night until now. Banana goes on her way and Pearl takes over. I guess I was more curious than anything. I suppose they know best :) Makes me feel more comfortable knowing Pearl is around as a great backup.

I should add I do feel lucky that they get along now. The very first day I let them out to meet the flock they jumped at each other like roosters. I had to intervene a few times, but after that day they got along like nothing was new. Pearl will sit on both babies if Banana wanders off and they both share tasty snacks they find. I'm glad they each ended up with at least one chick it is really neat to watch. I've learned a lot from them these past few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom