Hen leaves nest (old topic, new twist)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2overeasy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    [I originally had this as a response to an old post, but it was really in the wrong forum - chicken behaviors - so I've posted new here].
    I know this question has been asked an endless number of times - and I swear I've done my research and read tons! - but it's kind of two problems in one, so I'd like help, please:
    I have a BO that's been sitting on 13 eggs for 10 days (due to hatch Aug 5th). When I let chickens out this morning at 8:30ish she came out with them. Here in SE TN it's been over 90 every day for 2 weeks. After I let them all out, I went and checked her eggs and 1 in the middle had busted and rest were covered in gunk. I took out the busted one, then left them alone for the time being to let hen roam, and came to the porch to read about on the forum about busted eggs and gunk, and waited for her to go back. She was up here in the yard with the rest of the flock. I read that I could gently clean the rest with warm water, dry them well and place back in nest. So I did. I candled a few as I did and took out ones that looked empty and porous. At that point, they were already cool (but not cold) to the touch.
    By that time it had been about an 1 1/2 hours since she left the nest (that I know of b/c she could have been off for a while before I let them out.)
    After I finished cleaning them, I came out of the hen house and found her wandering around just outside, so I snatched her up. While holding her, I put together a dog kennel and went a grabbed the eggs - hay and all - and cradled them in my shirt (still holding her) and put them all in dog kennel and quickly closed the door. As I was walking away, it looked as though she was settling back on the eggs. That has been 20 minutes and I'll be going back out there shortly again to check her.
    This is not her first hatch. her first hatch chicks hatched back in mid-April and she was a great momma. So it surprised me that she left them so long, but I assume it's b/c of the broken one. Maybe she knew the rest wouldn't hatch?
    What the real bummer is is that I ordered these eggs and paid for them (blue orpingtons) - I've never done that. So I'm doubly determined that they hatch!
    I'd appreciate some advice or maybe just your own stories that will tell me what chances I have. I really need the encouragement right now, please!

2. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Do you have an incubator? hopefully she will settle back down... I never wash eggs I am gonna set so I dont know how that will do but hopefully she will settle back down and be okay...did you put fresh hay down also?

3. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Yes, she definitely got new hay. And no, I don't have an incubator. It's been an hour now and she has been sitting nicely. The thing is, I had a Cochin do this in May - she stayed off her nest for a long time. I moved her and the eggs to a new place, even though the eggs were cool. By Day 25 I knew they weren't going to hatch, but she was determined. So I just gave her some new eggs and she sat for another 21 days and got 4 chicks. But as I said, I paid for these eggs so I'm more determined. I can't find the original post where someone said to clean the eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by