Hen Leaving Eggs Out??

HeyHeyWW

Songster
Oct 9, 2017
Florida
I have this really weird hen, Hershey, whenever she goes broody and she's in the nest, instead of the eggs being under her, she just leaves them out. So she's in the nest, but she won't warm the eggs, they are just all out. This has happened twice. I thought that it was just that she's new to it the first time, but then the second time she does it again and I keep on having to take her out of the nest until she's not broody anymore.

I had another hen who hatched chicks perfectly fine for the first time going broody so I don't know what's wrong with Hershey. :/

How old is Hershey?
Some hens just don't get the idea as @Sneebsey writes. Sometimes pullets (under 1 year old) fancy having a go but get bored and leave the eggs.
Sometimes they'll sit in one type of nest but not another.

Try putting a higher lip on your nest box so that they cannot scratch it out. In my experience grass hay makes for the best nests. Most hens have difficulty effectively brooding eggs on a flat surface - especially if the clutch is of any size.

Try putting a higher lip on your nest box so that they cannot scratch it out. In my experience grass hay makes for the best nests. Most hens have difficulty effectively brooding eggs on a flat surface - especially if the clutch is of any size.
Ok, I hope that’ll wirk :) thank you all

Back
Top Bottom