Hen left eggs please HELP ASAP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rudkin, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Rudkin

Rudkin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Our broody little hen was sitting on 9 eggs, most likeyl only 8 viable eggs. Three of them have hatched and she has left the nest. So the other 6 eggs, minus the one are going to get cold before I get home from work. My mom is keeping an eye on momma hen and chicks. Is there anything she can do to get the eggs inside and kept warm until I can get home and get the incubator set up. I hate for them all to just die. If she brought them in and put them in a bowl and wrapped them in a damp warm towel or something????? It is about 22 degrees here in Kansas today so we don't have long.

2. HopieGirl4Ever

HopieGirl4Ever The Chook Artist

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    Do you have a lamp you could put the eggs under? I usually use a normal desk lamp, it should provide enough heat. You can also put the eggs in a plastic container under a lamp with a wet sponge for humidity, but be sure not to let the eggs get too hot.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Do you have a normal brooder heat lamp? That's just about the right temp (90*) for eggs. Have her put them under that for now.

4. Rudkin

Feb 14, 2013
    Thanks so much guys. We will give it a try!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long since the 3 chicks hatched? Might be the other eggs are not viable?

6. Rudkin

Feb 14, 2013
    2 hatched Saturday night and the other must have hatched last night.

7. Rudkin

Feb 14, 2013
    The three babies are doing good. They made it! I was about to give up on the five eggs we brought in. I just heard a bunch of chirping from the bathroom and one had hatched! Yay!

8. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Caught the thread late, glad it worked out!!! Now you have another adventure to share!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by