1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen left eggs several hrs day 15 now day 23 no chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2overeasy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    My white cochin went broody May 18th. Wednesday, June 8 then would have been hatch date (21 days). I moved her on day 11 b/c she was in a dangerous place. Closed her up so she wouldn't leave and would continue to sit. On day 15, thinking she was established and would go back to nest, I opened the kennel (extra large dog kennel) so she could come out for a short bit. Opened the kennel at 9:30a and went back to check on her at 2:30p. She was sitting on the original nest and her eggs were cold. Have no idea how long she was off nest. Now it's day 23 and still no chicks. I don't want to disturb her and possible chicks hatching by picking her up to check.
    How much longer do I leave her to see if they will hatch? Is it possible that, once I placed her back on the nest, she was able to warm eggs back up enough to hatch (not knowing how long she had been off)? And if I end up giving up on the eggs and taking them away, should I just give her more, and let her sit for 21 MORE days?? I think she would do it - she's pretty serious! I get the "stink eye" every time I go in there [​IMG]

2. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Please, someone? I swear I've done my research on the forums about this [​IMG] I guess I really just want to know if she can warm them back up after up to 5 hours off the nest...
    Thank you!

3. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    I'm sorry, but chances are they won't hatch...

but you could give it a try. Eggs are alot more hardy than poeple give them credit for.

4. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I've been looking into this too... found my broody off the nest today (on day 3) and I have no idea how long she was off for-- at the most two hours. She got past a barrier I'd put up to keep the others out, and then couldn't get back in herself! (Newbie idjit that I am. [​IMG]) Anyhoo, here's some info I found on the net:

Broody hens do and will leave the eggs for a small amount of time. They will leave to eat, drink and defecate. They will usually do this when things in the coop are calm and quiet. If a hen remains off the nest for more than an hour or so then there may be a problem. The incubating eggs cannot be allowed to cool more than a few degrees and the hen instinctively knows this. If your hen has left the nest for more than two hours you should remove the eggs and artificially incubate as soon as possible. 100.5 F with a humidity of 60% will work fine.

My broody when right back on the nest after I removed the barrier (which will remain off), but I have no idea if the eggs are now a lost cause. [​IMG] And if not, do I restart counting from this date? I don't know. Hopefully some more broody experts will post and help us out!

ETA: I found more:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=70631

Encouraging!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Thanks, Firefly. I read it and it is encouraging. I guess I will give her another day or so. I picked her up quickly to get a peek and there are no pips or zips that I could see, but I didn't move the eggs. m wondering, though, she's not getting off nest at all b/c she thinks it's the end of her hatch time. So if I give her more eggs for another 21 day stretch will she be smart enough to come off the nest regularly to do what she needs to do and then go back?

Right now I'm also dealing with a newly hatched chick from another broody that she has nearly pecked to death...(see that post if you have any advice).

Sigh...

Thank you.

6. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I just read the other thread-- I'm so sorry. [​IMG] That is heartbreaking! I wouldn't have been able to throw away the bag either. [​IMG] I'm sorry I don't have any advice; I will be rooting for the little guy or gal.

ETA: Ugh! I'm too late! My condolences...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    I would just let her sit on them for another few days, it won't hurt anything:)

8. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Can you grab up a couple and candle them?

9. Lauraslittlelayers

Lauraslittlelayers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Hi,
    Just wondered if yours eggs hatched. Mine is on day 3 and was away from her eggs for nearly 2 hrs. any advice?
    many thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by