hen left nest mid-hatch - what about these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimTn, May 13, 2009.

1. kimTn

kimTn New Egg

Aug 23, 2008
    cumberland furnace, tn
    my broody dom just left the nest with 4 chicks which probably hatched this afternoon, but has not gone back to the nest which still has ALOT (like 24) eggs. should i warm up the incubator? is there time? will she go back on and finish the hatch? why does this happen when there's no time to think about it??[​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If the chicks just hatched this afternoon she should not be taking them off the nest. You better start up the incubator and put the chicks and the eggs in it.

3. kimTn

kimTn New Egg

Aug 23, 2008
    cumberland furnace, tn
    thanks - she was still on the nest this morning. got the incubator fired up, moved her and the babies into a dog kennel. the eggs feel cool, but two that are pipped are still peeping.... so if any are in the bator tomorrow, then can i slip them to her when she's asleep?

4. kimTn

kimTn New Egg

Aug 23, 2008
    cumberland furnace, tn
    just wanted to say thanks again for your help - 5 chicks hatched out today, and tonight i slipped them under her. when i checked about 30 min ago, couldn't see any of them since she's got them all covered!!! so glad you said to fire up the incubator!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by