1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen left the nest -egg left behind. Will it hatch in?? IT HATCHED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Msbear, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    My left the nest with her peep and there was one cool egg in the nest due to hatch today. I've warmed it in my hands and candled. I think??? I saw movement??

Can it hatch. I don't know if she left the nest yesterday after 4:00 or this morning??

**UPDATE**

My scientific experiment was a success. The two refrigerator eggs (all we had for our broody) hatched successfully! One was in there for 8 hours, the other for 5 days (we think). One hatched in 21 days and the other (which was left on the nest) started pipping on 23 days, in the incubator a friend let us borrow, and hatched. I waited for 6 hours -for a good dry off and introduced it back to momma who was freeranging with the other chick... The most wonderful thing happened...

I put the chick down and momma heard its cry. She fluffed up the size of three mommas and ran. At the same moment, the peep heard her squawk, and it ran. They met in the middle and peep, instincively, ran beneath her:) and other little peep has a buddy. and happily ever after...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Keep it warm and moist. If you don't have a bator to put it in then warm up a heating pad or a heatlamp or something that will produce about 100 degree temp and loosely wrap the egg in a moist paper towel. Depending on how long she was off the hatch could be delayed but, at this stage they can produce heat to keep themselves warm so it will probably be okay.

This is talking about a bator but, should reassure you that all is not lost:
    Info on power outages during Incubation.
    From- A Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow

The more valuable your hatching eggs are, the more likely it is that the electricity will go out during incubation. If you have an uninterruptable power source (UPS) for your computer or other electronic equipment, consider disconnecting the usual equipment and using the UPS to power your incubator. If the outage comtinues beyond its capacity to keep your incubator running, or you don't have an UPS, open the incubator and let the eggs cool until the power goes back on.

Trying to keep the eggs warm is likely to cause abnormal embryo development. Furthermore, if you close the vents or wrap the incubator with blankets in your attempt to keep eggs warm, a greater danger than temperature loss is oxygen deprivation. Developing embryos use up oxygen rather rapidly, and the oxygen level may soon fall below that necessary to keep them alive.

As soon as the power goes back on, close the incubator and continue operating it as usual. The effect of the outage on your hatch will depend on how long the power was out and on how long the eggs had been incubated before the outage. A power failure of up to 12 hours may not significally affect the hatch (except to delay it somewhat), especially if the outage occurred during the early incubation, when cooled embryos naturally tend to go dormant. Embryos that are close to term generate enough heat to carry them through a short-term outage.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanks so much, Farmer Kitty, for you reassurance. I held it in my hands for an hour til hubby got back from a friends with an incubator. It warmed up pretty good that way. I candled it and saw no movement.

We put it in the bator about an hour and a half ago and I candled again and...MOVEMENT!!

I hope it'll be alright but I got good vibes right now:)
    I'm just going to let it go. -hubby's yelling at me to not mess with it.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Best to just let it be now that it is in the bator.

Good luck!

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    -just wanted to share my findings about refrigerated eggs:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats [​IMG]

7. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Very cute!